Large Sample

Arc were asked by Perth & Kinross Heritage Trust to help establish a scope of work for the conservation and repair of this important historic building in central Perth under their common repairs scheme.

 

Built in 1697/9 this building retains a heraldic emblem of a coroneted head (James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose) with scallop shells. The initials are those of Robert Graham and his wife Elizabeth Cunningham. The couple lived in the house with their eight children. The close is also known as the’ Kings Arms close’ as there was once an inn to the rear, demolished in 1892.

 

The building was since converted into a number of flats with shops on the ground floor. Arc oversaw the refurbishment of the facade, involving stripping cement and replacing with lime harl, chimney works, roofing and window upgrades.

 

In 2016 Perth Civic Trust named the Cunningham Graham Close and Tenement Properties, winner of their Civic Trust Award describing it as "an inspiring piece of restoration and renovation work to this important 17th century building." and John Kenna from Perth & Kinross Council commended Arc for "its excellent workmanship which made this project such a success."