Arc Architects

This community-based project to restore a derelict and unloved ruin into a distinguished local landmark, was completed in 2004.

8 years before he died, Sir James Melville (1535-1617), a noted courtier in the time of Mary, Queens of Scots, constructed an elaborate renaissance stone tomb, incorporating a lengthy public inscription by his daughter, Elizabeth, a noted but dour Presbyterian poetess.

Arc led this technically and administratively complex project to restore the tomb, which had no owner and was dangerously derelict.

In partnership with Collessie Community Council and Fife Council, and with funding from Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund, a careful process of masonry repairs was followed by renewal of the oak and stone slate roof.